Sunday, August 23, 2015

Fun with Gate Codes and iPhone block feature

The management company at the apartment complex I live in refuses to give out a bypass code for the door. That means delivery people are basically fucked (have to call, or wait for someone to come through the gate.)

They do let you have an "interactive" gate access of sorts by calling your phone and then you press 9 to open the gate. Knowing a little about telephony I figured I could give them a SIP DID that I had somewhere and setup something on Asterix. I did them one better however.


Since I recently switched to an iPhone I have the "block" feature easily accessible. I figured I would use it to make the process a great jimmy rig. I setup my greeting to have the unlock DTMF as the first notes it plays and then blocked the source number for the gate.


Low and behold, one ring later I have an automatic gate code so I can get back in when I'm jogging or delivery folks can drop packages off without a code.

No comments:

Post a Comment